| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Power Track Width, GND and Vias Doubts

Didan , 06-10-2019, 01:34 PM
Dear forum, I always wonder what the implications are when Im routing a power track if I keep track width the same or if I should make it wider up to possible and then reduce its width and finish route. I attached a picture for it. So my questions are:
I1) ts ok my power track have different sizes during routing? Im asking it because from microwave theory if you have different width you are making a filter using different width tracks in your circuit, but I think its more important for high frequency circuits, which isnt the case of my circuit here...
2)I Should keep my layout like this or I just use the same track size for my +3.3V track? What about GND? Any other tracks on circuit? Well, I have only 2 layers, more than necessary for this project but my about GND tracks and POWER tracks, is it a good practice in 2 layers board use vias to connect gnds for different layers? I always try to connect GND in one layer as possible, but if not I need to use via and connect both layers but I dont have sure if I need place vias as much as possible because it makes circuit reduce heat and make low impedance for current loop...
Paul van Avesaath , 06-11-2019, 02:20 AM
i would move the connector upwards, and make the trace evenly thick over the board connect it form the bottom.. . make the traces as big as allowed. also you can use multiple via's in a row to make a greater connection in you gnd traces just extend the trace over te via's manually (altium will " remove loops").. I would prefer using polygons here.. but I dont know what the restrictions are for your deisgn.

from an estetic point of view I would prefer to keep all traces the same width over the design.
robertferanec , 06-11-2019, 05:17 AM
- I do reduce track width, but mostly when going from high current path to low current path .. for example when I have 10A track and I need to connect there 0.5A pin, I can make that 0.5A connection thinner.

- I can change track width of main current path, however, in this case I need to be sure, that the narrow part of the track can carry the required current.

In your case, I would simple put 3V3 polygon on the TOP layer under the connector and connected it with the track going out.

But ... doing power distribution on 2 layer PCB is not easy .... so be extra careful.
Didan , 06-11-2019, 07:11 AM
Well, I done my layout I would like to know if it looks good and what to improve. I place gnd vias over gnd place, I would like to confirm if its good because: create a low impedance path for current loop, good to avoid board heating. Thats why I use it.
About my +3.3V track I still didnt understand how to improve it, so I need to draw a polygon in which side? I attached pictures, please indicate what you think is good on image. Im using Kicad Software too, not Altium. Power Distribution on 2 layers, how to improve it or find information about it, Im interesting to learn more.
robertferanec , 06-12-2019, 05:15 AM
These are very wide questions - they are hard to answer as no one knows what is on the board - are these analogue signals, are they uart signals, PCI express signals, high current signals ... ??? They look to me like some GPIOs, but ... it can be anything.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?