| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Open REX : How value and Numbers of Bypass Capacitor is selected

Abhi P Choksi , 08-13-2019, 10:48 PM
For Open Rex Board i have below questions regarding Power Supply Decoupling network.

(1)How value is selected of Bypass capacitor?
(2)How to decide numbers of Bypass capacitor?
Paul van Avesaath , 08-14-2019, 07:38 AM
I am not sure About the open rex, buit for Xilinx and Altera devices they recommend a certain amount per IO/Bank / Power rail, in the datasheet or in their online calculators
it used to be that each pin would need its own cap, but the newer Chips have a lot more on board local capacitors.. although they are small it iliminates a lot of bypass caps in newer designs.
so my recommendation here is always check the documentation since it should provide additional support on this.
robertferanec , 08-16-2019, 08:27 AM
As @Paul van Avesaath mentioned, the same is for iMX6 CPU (which is used on OpenRex) - capacitors are recommended in design guides. Here is one of the examples (I think I saw somewhere also a table which exactly said number and values of caps for the core power rails, but can not find it right now) - screenshot from design guide:

saeid , 08-17-2019, 08:12 AM
I am going to design a board based on IMX6Q CPU. I have been checking open Rex and IMx6 Rex schematic as a reference. In the Open Rex board, the value of DDR3 decoupling capacitor are 220nf, whereas in the IMX6 Rex they are 100nf. I could not find 220nf in the DDR3 datasheet.

What is the reason of that ?
Abhi P Choksi , 08-19-2019, 12:38 AM
Hi Saeid,

Please attach some snip which shows comparison.

Apart from that, I can say that you may use any decoupling capacitor ranging from 100nF to 220nF for high-speed interfaces. But, better to go with recommendations.
If DDR3 datasheet recommends 100nF decoupling capacitor then please use that. Don't go with 220nF.

Thanks,
Abhi

​
robertferanec , 08-19-2019, 02:20 AM
I am going to design a board based on IMX6Q CPU. I have been checking open Rex and IMx6 Rex schematic as a reference. In the Open Rex board, the value of DDR3 decoupling capacitor are 220nf, whereas in the IMX6 Rex they are 100nf. I could not find 220nf in the DDR3 datasheet.
I checked the schematics, they both have 220nF. Please, what 100nF do you mean?
- iMX6Rex module schematic: https://www.imx6rex.com/wp-content/u...-Schematic.pdf
- OpenRex schematic: https://www.imx6rex.com/wp-content/u...Production.pdf

Maybe you were looking at decoupling of termination resistors? These are only on OpenRex as it is using fly-by. iMX6Rex module uses T-branch layout and doesn't need these caps.
saeid , 08-19-2019, 07:05 AM
Thanks Dear Robert and Choksi for your replies. I made a mistake. As Robert mentioned both of them use 220nf for DDR decoupling capacitor. What I am trying to ask is how did you choose these capacitors? (220nf and 22uf )
Why you did not use 100nf ? Because I could not find these value of capacitors in the DDR datasheet(Micron )?

robertferanec , 08-20-2019, 09:06 AM
I used the same decoupling capacitors as they recommended and used in the CPU reference design.
saeid , 08-21-2019, 01:26 AM
Thank you so mach dear Robert.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?