| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Splitting plane for negative voltage

mehmetkazakli , 08-21-2019, 02:15 AM
Hi everybody,
I used op-amp for my project. And supplied with +12 and -12 volts. My PCB will have 4 layers which are TOP (signal layer) ,POWER (internal plane),GROUND(internal plane),BOTTOM (signal layer). When i split the power plane for supply voltages such as +12V, +5V , +3.3V , i confused where to set my -12 power for op-amp supply. Should i set -12V to POWER plane or GROUND plane and why ?
Thank you

Paul van Avesaath , 08-21-2019, 06:04 AM
always keep your ground as " ground only" of you can. there is no issue why you should not combine your -12V plane next to your positive voltage planes.
even for negative voltages the return current will flow over your GND.
as always a solid gnd plane will provide a good gnd for your board and saves a lot of headaches...

so to conclude, toplayer will contain the opamp, the layer below that will be your power plane with all voltages, then your GND plane, and bottom is agian for components and trakcs
mehmetkazakli , 08-22-2019, 04:05 AM
Thank you so much. I also found that e-book.

Complete PCB Design Using OrCad Capture and Layout provides instruction on how to use the OrCAD design suite to design and manufacture printed circuit boards. The book is written for both students and practicing engineers who need a quick tutorial on how to use the software and who need in-depth knowledge of the capabilities and limitations of the software package. There are two goals the book aims to reach: The primary goal is to show the reader how to design a PCB using OrCAD Capture and OrCAD Layout. Capture is used to build the schematic diagram of the circuit, and Layout is used to design the circuit board so that it can be manufactured. The secondary goal is to show the reader how to add PSpice simulation capabilities to the design, and how to develop custom schematic parts, footprints and PSpice models. Often times separate designs are produced for documentation, simulation and board fabrication. This book shows how to perform all three functions from the same schematic design. This approach saves time and money and ensures continuity between the design and the manufactured product. Information is presented in the exact order a circuit and PCB are designed Straightforward, realistic examples present the how and why the designs work, providing a comprehensive toolset for understanding the OrCAD software Introduction to the IPC, JEDEC, and IEEE standards relating to PCB design Full-color interior and extensive illustrations allow readers to learn features of the product in the most realistic manner possible
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?