| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Copper coined PCB

nikhil2402 , 08-22-2019, 02:42 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am wondering someone here designed a copper coined pcb. I tried looking around and I dont really understand this technology. If someone has better overview of this, can you share the concept with images and so on. Additionally, how do I set it up in Altium designer?

Looking forward to your help
robertferanec , 08-23-2019, 05:59 AM
I didn't know something like this is possible. I can't really help as I have never used it, but it is interesting.

PS: For everyone who has never heard about copper coin in PCB, here is more info:
"The concept is based on getting a copper coin press fit into a premade cutout in the board right under an area that is identified as a hot spot – MOSFET pad for example."

Source: https://www.altus-pcb.com/pcbs-with-...-is-all-about/
nikhil2402 , 08-23-2019, 06:09 AM
Yes new thing for me as well. Apparently, such a thing is very useful heat dissipation when you are working with really high power designs.

The simplest design that I have thought about is to insert a hole below the IC where the thermal pad exists. This is plated through hole all the way down to bottom layers. We then ask the PCB manufacturer to insert a copper coin in this region. However, this is a simple copper coin arrangement but there exists many different flavors.

PS: Its good thing to first check whether the manufacturer has the capability to do this.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?