| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

About Component Longevity

mulfycrowh , 09-04-2019, 01:25 PM
Hi everyone!

What do you do when the manufacturer doesn't want to speak about longevity?
I'm speaking about Renesas with the Intersil ISL6228.
It is a buck converter.
The date is 2008.
Already 11 years ...

robertferanec , 09-05-2019, 12:38 AM
Even if they told you something about life time of the chip, it's not always the truth (even if the people tell you the truth they know, it doesn't mean it is going to be the reality). So, you never know ..... I try to use chips from well know chip manufacturers, that is the way I try to eliminate chip disappearance. But even that does not always work.

Once we used completely new INTEL SSD chip which supposed to be build for embedded applications with 10 years of life time - we finished our board and INTEL canceled the chip. We had to redesign the completely new board.
mulfycrowh , 09-05-2019, 12:42 AM
I also use another way, the amount of parts available by Mouser or Digikey. A lot of parts Maybe shows that the part is highly requested.
mulfycrowh , 09-05-2019, 12:44 AM
The true issue there is that power supply on a motherboard is very very important part ...
Paul van Avesaath , 09-12-2019, 07:27 AM
you can ask you supplier or board manufacurer to ask them about it. longlevity is something that is set in the company goals..
like altera used to have a document that stated that it would supply every component for 30 years..

maybe there is a drop in equivalent part from another company.
trying to allocate parts up front is always an option.

there are tools like Silicon expert that might have information on it, but you would have to buy it i guess.

if it is your board then you could concider a redesign for a component that has a equivalent or a long life statement from the supplier..

on the other hand.. it would probably be cheaper to secure a certain amount of this chip and having it stored somewhere..

anovickis , 09-18-2019, 03:20 PM
you can use a service for example https://www.siliconexpert.com/
which provides that data for an entire BOM or single component

Since the service is not free usually your distributor can answer that question for you
, or ask the manufacturer
Comments:
Paul van Avesaath, 09-19-2019, 05:09 AM
well shoot me.. that makes sense
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?