| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Routing a board like the imx6rex in 4 layers

Johnnyjax , 04-24-2020, 05:13 AM
I'm a student and will soon be completing the advanced pcb layout course. Im thinking of designing a board like the imx6rex covered in the course just to learn and to be sure I understand the course fully. I dobt really care if it's the best type of board or if it's the most efficient since it's just for me, all I care about is the cost. I'm trying to go for the cheapest possible board I can manufacture plus I dont want to just do a design that I'll never make because its expensive. Do u think it will be possible to route a board like the imx6rex in 4 layers with through hole vias alone? Will a board like that work? Will it be too difficult? Or should I just give up on the idea. Thanks
robertferanec , 04-27-2020, 05:13 AM
Important is to be sure that you can route memories. For memory layout, often you need at least 3 layers for signals - TOP with component, Bottom for address in one direction, Middle address in other direction. You still may need solid GND and a layer for power plane - so 6 layers is maybe at least recommended.

PS: Of course, I have seen DDR3 layout also on 2 layer PCB, but then you really need to know what you are doing (or really not know what you are doing) and it has to be a specific situation (maybe one chip only, slow speed, enough space, etc)
Johnnyjax , 04-27-2020, 06:47 AM
Oh... Alright. Thanks a lot
Johnnyjax , 04-27-2020, 06:52 AM
I'll try to do it on 6 layers and hope the cost isnt too much for me to afford.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?