| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

ATEX hardware design

JollyMask , 08-04-2020, 02:18 AM
Hi Robert, i have some questions for you:

- do you have any experience design compliant with ATEX directive?
- do you have any experience in intrinsically safe design? (also related to ATEX in a certain case)

If other users or hardware designers have experience in this topic please reply.

Regards.

JollyMask
qdrives , 08-04-2020, 08:41 AM
From the little I know of it is that you do not want to make sparks.
Putting a 1k ohm resistor on a digital output will reduce sparks. That does make it more difficult to drive relays and solenoids.
With intrinsically safe you do not rely on active components and software for the safety.
JollyMask , 08-04-2020, 09:08 AM
Hi @qdrives ,
unfortunatelly is not so easy.
With ATEX you have a lot of requirements to meet ATEX directive 60079.
Also from the master point of you, you have a lot of specification on the width and the distance of the track (for example).
In hardware design you have to meet a lot of safety rules to avoid sparks, but there are a lot of configurations, mostly based on zeners and something like this, but i see some strange configurations on the ground connection.

Active components can be used for the safety but, for example, optoisolator must isolate conduction also after carbonization.

Is a special field of design and i want to know if someone here (or also Robert) have some previous experience on it.
qdrives , 08-04-2020, 09:20 AM
Hi @JollyMask ,

I never said it was easy. I also said I had little knowledge of it.
A couple of remarks:
1) There are standards and directives. For instance ATEX Directive 2014/34/EU and standard IEC 60079. Directives are free to download and are for the EU. Standards must be purchased. Directives are law in the EU, standards help to comply to the directives.
2) Track width and distance help in the intrinsically safe design (i.e. over current and over voltage).
3) Seems you have multiple different special questions. A general "have experience with ATEX" is not going to answer these questions. I think ATEX is to diverse to do this.
JollyMask , 08-04-2020, 09:38 AM
Hi @qdrives

1) noted and correct.Also the simgle is different (triangle for directive, hexagon for standard). We already have bought standard for EN 60079 (not IEC but is really the same, only little changes)
2) noted. if i remember is in 6007-11 or 60079-14
3) ATEX have different question regards to the type of protection. When i say that i have to design something that must be Ex ia compliant, the range will be restricted.

You suggestions? You know some book/courses that can be helpful?
robertferanec , 08-07-2020, 04:21 AM
@JollyMask I do not have any experience with ATEX. I have designed one board long time ago for a gas station which was more strict than a normal board, but I do not remember the requirements
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?