| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Project Schematic Check

ibocakir06 , 05-03-2021, 05:20 PM
Hi all,

I am a lead hardware design engineer in a firm and we are 6 engineers designing very good hardware projects. However, I have a problem.

I gave the requirements to my engineer and waiting for him to design the schematic and layout. After he says to me, "Hey boss, I finished the schematic", I want to check what he did but I don't know where to start.

How do you check schematics? Do I have to dig into whole datasheets, reference manuals or reference designs? Do I have to look at each pin function of the used ICs? Do I have to use the Navigator tool and check every connection? Do I have to recalculate the maximum power dissipation of the used regulator? These questions can be increased.

How big companies overcome this issue? Checking the layout is a bit easier. I generally say them, move this component to another side, correct this route or vs. However the schematic checking is much more complicated. Do you have any experience with this issue?

Thank you.
qdrives , 05-08-2021, 01:45 PM
"It depends" - Eric Bogatin.
First off: how much do you trust them? I hope you do trust them enough.
Whenever I checked schematics (a least a few I could come up with):
1) Go over the functionality first, like a block diagram.
2) Simulation?
3) Check the connections (ie Altium navigator) and use net highlight until all nets are covered.
4) Verify pull-up/down
5) Verify potential fire hazards (power rating resistors could be one of them) and other safety features (ie. normally off).
6) Communication Tx/Rx
7) Check/calculate voltage level (like power supply and analog inputs)
8) EMC? ESD? Safety?

Point 3 you mostly do alone, but the others you do together. Discussing the ideas is better then just pointing out an issue.
robertferanec , 05-10-2021, 02:24 AM
Some time ago I posted an article on this topic, maybe that can help:
8 Steps Schematic Checking Procedure https://welldoneblog.fedevel.com/201...ing-procedure/
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?