| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Setting via style for protecting power plane from a lot of unwanted holes

sukru , 05-04-2021, 11:59 AM
I have a high frequency transmission line and a lot of stitching vias near them. Because of these stitching vias on the signal layer (signal-ground plane-power plane-signal(ground pour)), power plane has a lot of holes and that can cause problem on the power delivery , current cant move easly on the power plane. So I want to use L1 to L2 via style (Blind 1:2 on screenshot) but I am not sure if this would have bad effect on the return path of the RF transmission line or would it have a some other bad effects if we look from RF point of view?
qdrives , 05-08-2021, 02:25 PM
robertferanec , 05-10-2021, 02:42 AM
I am not expert for RF, but if I understand right, simply to say most of the filed would be travelling between track and GND, I would expect no difference in case you use through hole GND VIA vs uVIAs. Do you have any specific concerns why the signal should see it differently?

I would also point out this video, maybe that can help:
What Every PCB Designer Should Know - Return Current Path (with Eric Bogatin)
sukru , 05-10-2021, 05:22 PM
@robertferanec I have already watched that video and that was a perfect video, I am really happy to see such quality videos thank you sir. I also think the same as you. Via style will not effect the impedance profile and I have no specific concerns in thinking that question I just want to be sure if this would have an effect.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?