| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Proper routing through a PAD

goldchan , 07-27-2021, 12:35 PM
Hello,
I found two different routing cases as in the attached image when I working on the 28pin project.
Sometimes, I found some routing lines on a PAD.
I am not sure which one is a proper routing through a PAD. Might be both wrong or both right?
In the lecture video, Robert always double-clicks when routing passes through a PAD and continues the routing.
but sometimes, I just click to end and restart routing from the PAD.
My major question is that the isolated line, which is only on a PAD as is shown on the blue arrow is fine or should be removed.

qdrives , 07-29-2021, 02:14 PM
In my opinion, a trace should continue to the pad center. So the blue one is correct and the green is only half correct.
The problem is when the end of the trace does not completely cover the pad like in my example:
goldchan , 07-29-2021, 10:53 PM
To Qdrives,
Thank you for your comments.
Since the red square is covered by copper, I think two lines of the Green arrow are connected through the PAD.
In your case, the Gnd line is out of the region. the line is not connected.
This is my thought. Someone else can clarify these.
Thank you.
goldchan , 07-30-2021, 12:06 PM
To Dan,
Thank you for indicating the interesting side effects.

I found somehow I have some routes that do not path through the center of PAD.
However, this is not visible easily.
Are there any Altium options to warn this kind of routing? BTW, I didn't receive any warning from my current setting.

robertferanec , 07-31-2021, 03:25 AM
Theoretically you do not need to route into center of the pad (sometimes some software even remove that small tracks inside of pad automatically), however, sometimes this is causing problems. So I would not intentionally route PCBs the way that I would only route until the edge of the pad.

What kind of possible problems not routing into the center of the pad can cause? Some where already pointed out e.g. measuring length of tracks, not getting full track width at the edge of the pad, but sometimes it can be also like unconnected net, it can be problem when importing your design to software which requires tracks to be connected in center, etc ...
goldchan , 07-31-2021, 09:59 PM
Thank you for so much information.
This is a great forum to get very specific information.
Thanks again for all your kind reply.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?