| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Chassis not tied to earth -> Connect to GND ?

cBegue , 02-08-2022, 10:40 AM
Hi,
If for one of my project I have a long aluminium enclosure chassis which is not connected to earth. Would it be useful to connect GND to the chassis on one point near the power input or would it be useless if the chassis is not tied to earth ? My intuition is that I would still provide a faraday cage to the boards in the chassis improving the immunity of the system and providing a path for common mode noise to dissipate.
qdrives , 02-10-2022, 09:57 AM
Perhaps your answer is in these video's:
Do you separate Digital GND and Analogue GND, or not? What do you think is better?Links:- Rick Hartley: https://www.linkedin.com/in/rick-hartley-8571216/- Do...

Join us and Learn How to Achieve Proper Grounding with Rick Hartley. Send us your questions in the chat and Rick will address them.

robertferanec , 02-12-2022, 01:09 AM
After watching the videos that @qdrives recommended you may get a better idea what to do with it.

If you are still not sure, provide options to connect / not connect the enclosure with your board and you will decide on the final solution after running all the tests. Don't forget, metal enclosure may influence also ESD. And often board can be connected with the metal enclosure on multiple places with a very good connection e.g. motherboard vs PC chassis.

PS: I am not sure if it can be considered as a proper Faraday cage if there are cables going in / out.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?