| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Grounding on PCB

SpikeHawk , 11-13-2022, 09:23 AM
Dear community,

The reason I am writing to you is because of a query regarding a PCB board.
I am using a PCB where it has an input of 110Vdc from battery as you can see in the photo below. The - side of the battery is grounded through the Neutral wire which come into the board. So my question is : 1) Is it necessary to implement a PE wire in the board other than the N in order to ground the Board?​
robertferanec , 11-14-2022, 01:30 AM
It could be useful to share maybe a little bit more information why connecting this circuit to N?

I am not expert for this kind of circuits, but maybe someone else could help?
qdrives , 11-14-2022, 01:26 PM
Neutral is not ground!

As for the need to use PE - that depends: double isolation to all touchable metal parts? Then no.
Not connected to mains? No again.
Otherwise: yes.
Possible applicable standard: IEC 60335.
SpikeHawk , 11-14-2022, 01:32 PM
Thank you both for the Immediate response. Yes In this particular example In the board which has an Input of 110Vdc it's an N wire which is connected to the board. Although there is no PE connection to the board. So my main question is let's suppose that I have a board which has an Input of 110Vdc is it compulsory to Ground the negative side of the battery input? as I see it if the Negative is not grounded then it is considered as a floating point.

Regards,
Andrew.
qdrives , 11-14-2022, 01:42 PM
A battery is not connected to mains, so does not need PE.

However, neutral IS connect connected to mains.
Either:
- disconnect from mains and leave it floating,
- Have double isolation
- Add PE connection.

Do note that 110Vdc is, is Europe, within the Low Voltage Directive scope and battery powered also means either EMC or LVD directive (I do not remember which).
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?