| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Us of DDR3 for iMX6

millensg , 03-16-2016, 02:15 PM
Hi Robert/Electronic Designer Community,

I am modifying an existing iMX6 Design to fit my own requirements, and it uses 2 x (2GB DDR3-1600) memory. Where I am re-laying out the board, I am considering using 4 chips instead of 2, although you can only have a maximum of 4GB for iMX6.

When providing a layout for 4 Memory chips do they ALL need to be populated with a memory component? i.e. provide 2x1GB or 4x1GB depending on the options/variant. This might give me flexibility regarding cost or EMC/development if certain chips are readily available.
robertferanec , 03-16-2016, 02:26 PM
It may depend on layout. We have boards (TinyRex module using T-branch, OpenRex board using Fly-by) where 4 or 2 memories can be fitted. Of course, you need to keep the "un-populated stubs" as short as possible and it is not the optimum memory layout, but we did extensive testing for TinyRex and it works oki. We have done also a lot of testing on OpenRex and we are just planning to go to Environmental chamber and EMC lab, but it also looks good. If it helps you, have a look at OpenRex layout. You can download full Altium project here: http://www.imx6rex.com/open-rex/

PS: You may want to be careful about how you place the two memories which will be always fitted. For T-branch we placed them on the top, for Fly-by we placed them on the end.
millensg , 03-16-2016, 02:59 PM
It will be a T Branch with the two chips on the top that will always be fitted. I have left space underneath for two more chips and associated cap/resistors. The only concern I have is that the original design had the memory routed from one corner of one side of the iMX6 chip (for only 2 chips mounted topside), whereas this should be split for top layer as it looks like the top and its bottom chip, for each pair, have very similar routings. I guess I will have to learn IOMUX.exe
robertferanec , 03-16-2016, 11:26 PM
Yes, that was the tricky part (32 bits in corner of the CPU), but it's doable (to route these for TOP chips).
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?