| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Analog and Digital Supply

zhenning , 04-02-2016, 06:14 AM
For the circuit that needs analog and digital supply with the same voltage, do we separate them and use 2 different dc-dc converter for each analog and digital domain as isolation? As I understand the fast switching of the transistors in the digital domain will induce additional unwanted noises in the analog domain. From a TUSB1310 design guide, it also suggest to add Pi filters for each supply.

1.1-V, 1.8-V and 3.3-V Analog Supplies
Since circuit noise on the analog power terminals must be minimized, a Pi filter is recommended for each
supply.
Analog power terminals should have a 0.1-μF bypass capacitor connected to VSSA (ground) in order for
proper operation. Place the capacitor as close as possible to the terminal on the device and keep trace
length to a minimum. Smaller value capacitors like 0.01-μF are also recommended on the analog supply
terminals.

robertferanec , 04-03-2016, 01:30 AM
Hello @zhenning, we often use filters based on Ferrite BEADS + capacitors. This works oki for standard CPU boards (like CPU + Audio) to separate digital from analog. However, if I would need a really clean analog power, I would use an LDO to create it.

Have a look at some of our schematics, e.g. OpenRex Schematic:

zhenning , 04-03-2016, 01:41 AM
I see. Thanks Robert! How about for the GND? I came across some recommendation to split the ground too by connecting the VSSA as a trace to the terminal directly. Some other suggestion is to connect the digital and analog GND through a point contact.
robertferanec , 04-04-2016, 12:02 AM
In our boards (CPU boards) I found out, that the best way is to use one solid GND for everything. However, I do place analog circuits into a "quiet" corner of the PCB and I do not mix digital / analog tracks & components together. Of course, this is not a general rule and for analog sensitive circuits you may need to take a different approach - the best is to try to follow chip manufacturer recommendations (they may recommend to use separate analog and digital ground).
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?