| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

About size package

Bermell , 10-24-2016, 06:12 AM
I have seen in Robert's videos that it is important to use in high frecuency design, 0402 for decoupling capacitors rather than bigger package.

I would like to solder the components of my board by myself. I have an oven reflow, but i think it will be easier if i use 0603.

So my question is if it is possible to use 0603 package for decoupling capacitors instead of 0403 package. I mean, will the board work properly ?

Thank you very much in advance
robertferanec , 10-24-2016, 06:33 AM
If you search on internet, you will probably find all the kind of opinions about this topic.

However, a lot of design guides recommend to use small decoupling capacitors (the main reason is smaller distance between pads - smaller loops). However, there is also practical reason - placing 0603 under a BGA is very hard and based on many design guides, decoupling capacitors should be placed as close as possible to power pins (again, you can find any kind of opinions on internet telling, that this may not be necessary, however, the designs I do by following this rule always work perfectly and reliably and I am not going to try placing decoupling capacitors far away from the pins before I see recommendations from companies like Intel to do so )

So, if you have a BGA on the board you may want to consider 0402 - it can be soldered by hand, no problem, but you may need a microscope. Otherwise, depends on the circuit, but 0603 should work fine in general designs. I have not seen a design failing because 0603 were used.
Bermell , 10-24-2016, 07:08 AM
Thank you very much Robert for your answer
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?