| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

i.MX8 release date?

KingVita89 , 04-03-2017, 12:32 PM
Hi,

I wonder when NXP will release i.MX8 documentation.

Would like to design in a i.MX8 processor into my application but as I see it's still in preproduction state and there are no documentation available.

What do you think or know about this topic?
robertferanec , 04-03-2017, 01:46 PM
I have seen some iMX8 documents and the CPU looks oki. However, I am not sure if we will be building another Freescale / NXP / Qualcomm based board (or I am not sure who is currently the owner of the company). I prefer diversity - I do not want to build our portfolio based on one company chips. Also, they are not very good in supporting open source, so I am currently looking for other options.
KingVita89 , 04-03-2017, 02:08 PM
Do you maybe know when documents will be available public? At the moment the system on modul market is exploding, I think that could crash very soon. What do you think about buy or make a SOM?
robertferanec , 04-04-2017, 10:07 AM
- about iMX8, the best would be talking to your local NXP guys. All the info is under NDA.
- module market has been here for a while (I designed my first SODIMM module in 2004), I don't think the market is going to disappear. Using modules helps developing products much faster. We develop modules, because it is one of the things what we do, but if your core business is not a module development / manufacturing / selling, I would buy modules and use them in products. Many companies try to develop modules by themselves, but it is not really necessary.
nachodizz990 , 05-15-2017, 10:21 AM
Toradex it´s near to release some carrier boards and sodims
robertferanec , 05-15-2017, 10:36 AM
I am very curious to see if iMX8 is going to be as successful as iMX6 or we will need to wait for next generation of CPU From my past experience with Freescale (e.g. they released iMX51 - total fail and then iMX53 not as successful as iMX6), they may need couple of silicon revisions to make a good CPU - especially if they are jumping to new technologies and interfaces. But, I do not want to be negative ... just careful Let's see .....
Comments:
nachodizz990, 05-15-2017, 10:42 AM
They will probably have a lot of HDL bugs on New IP Cores and thermal problems xD
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?