| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Experiences with CyconeV FPGA, DDR3 and fly-by routing topology

herbx , 04-05-2017, 12:09 PM
Hi people,

I am designing a board with a Cyclone V FPGA (672 BGA package), it contains 2 hardware memory controllers (HMC), onto each I would like to connect 2 128MB x 16 DDR3 SDRAMS. The DDR3 controller in the Cyclone V does not support write levelling, but I have noticed that a number of designs are using successfully fly-by routing topology anyway. What are the design considerations when using the Cyclone V with DDR3 sdram and fly-by routing topology without write levelling, I would appreciate any information on this matter. I would prefer fly-by over T topology, just because of less complex routing.

Thanks

herbx
mairomaster , 04-06-2017, 01:38 AM
I've done a Cyclone V design using t-branch. I even did termination to VTT with R-packs, which increased the complexity (not sure if it's really necessary and might get rid of it). I don't think it's such a big deal, especially if you don't terminate.

If the FPGA doesn't support write levelling I don't know how do they deal with the fly by. Does it say anything in the documentation?
herbx , 04-06-2017, 04:28 AM
@mairomaster, basically they say go with t-branch. But information I came across recently stated that with just two chips topology makes no difference.
robertferanec , 04-06-2017, 11:09 AM
I know, some FPGA chips have a memory calibration code which you can run to get the values for delays. I was not searching much, but maybe something like that exists also for cyclone: http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53488
herbx , 04-06-2017, 12:04 PM
@robertferanec, thanks I was aware of this link and the Quartus external memory interface toolkit which can be used to measure the margin after calibration.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?