| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Advanced Layout Project Suggestion

IgorStojanovic , 11-09-2017, 04:01 AM
Hi guys,

I am one of many who find Fedevel courses very useful. It really helped me a lot to do the PCB designs in a professional way. I used to work with moderate complexity PCB designs (MCU, RF transceiver, USB, some basic peripherals, etc). Now, I want to go a level up and try with advanced PCB design. I attended 'Advanced PCB Layout Course' last year. However, I didn't have chance to work on such projects, so I didn't practice (I know, it's my guilt). Although I got great knowledge from the course, I am scared when I see Robert's complex designs. For that reason, I want to start my own advanced layout project, for which I need your suggestions. I have in mind to build a project based on TI Sitara AM3358 (like Beaglebone), coupled with 1GB DDR3 memory. I think, for the moment, I don't need to make it too complex by adding many peripherals, only the necessary (Ethernet, USB, MMC, HDMI).
It seems to me as only way to build the design skills, by doing it from scratch. What do you think about ? Do you have some other suggestion that you find as a better starting point for the Advanced Layout world ?
Thank you in advance!
robertferanec , 11-10-2017, 04:53 PM
Be aware, complex designs takes hundreds hours of time to accomplish. Also, you may need couple of thousands of dollars to build the board. Look for a simple reference design, do minimum changes (reduces time to design it) and use through hole VIAs only (makes your board much cheaper). Use a CPU with good software support so you do not have problems when bringing your board to live. Find something you are passionate about, that will keep you going (e.g. some people try to build their own laptops, drones, etc.)
IgorStojanovic , 11-11-2017, 10:37 AM
Thank you for the answer Robert. Very realistic and comprehensive advice.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?