| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Future of PCB designer. What's next?

EDAtranslate , 08-28-2019, 02:24 PM
Hello, engineers!
I do have some thoughts about personal development and prospects for PCB designer profession. Very awesome in the beginning to make 4-8-12...then 16 layers pcb, but..what's next?
What proffesional development would you anticipate? Moving to EM modelling? FPGA programming?
Paul van Avesaath , 08-29-2019, 05:17 AM
as an engineer I think that development in PCB technology will continu anyway.. so lots to learn, with embeded components, miniturization (smaller than 0.4 pitch), more and more flex capabilities. higher speeds and wireless technologies. it will become a good deal interesting i suspect.. but having a broad knowledge in mechnical aspects (enclosures) and thermal aspects are very usefull.
Also having knowledge of FPGA/CPU/DSP is very helpfull.. the more you know the easier you become in developing and supporting the architects.

for me it has been mostly in signal integrity were i have found my next level..
robertferanec , 08-29-2019, 05:22 AM
Depends on personality. Some people do not mind to do same things all over again and again, some people like it, some just keep doing it (even if they do not like it much), others can get bored or need challenges.

Many great engineers what I know become leaders or managers or they setup their own companies.

I do not know many engineers who would become experts in one field (e.g. experts in high speed PCB Layout) and then they would start from zero in different field (e.g. FPGA programming). Once someone becomes an expert, they get well paid for what they know and its extremely hard for these people to start from zero somewhere else. If someone really needs a change, they usually change companies, but they still will be doing very similar things e.g. PCB layout, but different kind of projects.

But, that is my opinion
Comments:
Paul van Avesaath, 08-29-2019, 05:37 AM
i second that.. just switched company for that reason..
Paul van Avesaath , 08-30-2019, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by robertferanec

Many great engineers what I know become leaders or managers or they setup their own companies.
just like you
robertferanec , 08-30-2019, 06:45 AM
just like you

Yeah, it really depends on what people would like to do next.
MarylinPurtill , 11-20-2019, 08:15 AM
Its future is bright, all in all. Though IoT is taking over the market but yes, to design the boards containing products etc, PCB is a must. That's why I am trying to be an expert in soldering and PCB.
rishabsain , 12-07-2021, 01:38 AM
Self-awareness makes you a certain and mature proficient, two critical characteristics for profession development. It helps you grin even in the most exceedingly terrible conditions. Overhauling oneself with time is critical as it sets you up for the present as well as for what's to come.
Paul van Avesaath , 07-04-2023, 06:21 AM
hmm for who is interested:

The Best African Teams 2023 CAF is a gathering of the best football teams in Africa in the 2023 CAF competition. These teams represent the highest quality and skills in the African continent and show great competition in the competition.

don't know what football has to do with next level PCB design .
robertferanec , 07-04-2023, 08:17 AM
it was spam, I deleted that post
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?