| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Books for the developer

gusevbess , 01-28-2020, 08:15 AM
Hello colleagues!
Could you share a list of books that are required reading for an electronics developer?
Recently, I have been depressed from the fact that I do not feel the growth of knowledge and skills.
Interested in books from analog circuitry to low-level programming. What are you doing to feel like a professional?
robertferanec , 01-29-2020, 06:34 AM
We discussed a few books on this forum. Try to search for book or books, but there is nothing very specific.

Myself, I do not have any electronic books (except books from university). We did have some books about electronics at my previous work, however I learned mostly from Design guides and working on projects. Design guides will tell you practical things about placement, layout, stackup etc. Not probably the answer you were expecting

I recommend to use components with good design guides - after some time you will notice pattern and you will understand what is important.

But I do know, some people recommend books - I have seen some recomendations under some of my videos, try to check out comments here:
- e.g. Signal Integrity by Eric Bogatin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyoqhJB_E9Q
- or Henry Ott's "Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineering": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUAJbNnqhLs

Also, try to search on Dave's EEVBlog Forum, people may be suggesting some books there:
xaviondono , 05-22-2020, 08:02 AM
You can always rely on the classics:
Electronics:
- Ritchley - Right the first time
- Horowitz & Hill - The Art of Electronics
- Johnson Graham - High-Speed Signal design (Black magic books)
Programming:
- Dijkstra - Structured Programming
Basic/Core stuff and others:
- Oppenheim Schaler Discrete-Time signal processing
- Schneier - Applied Cryptography

There's also some very interesting books on firmware/software on Apres Open, about firmware and security, although they're mostly targeted at x86 platforms.

As Robert says, books will give you a good base, but war is fought on the trenches.
robertferanec , 10-20-2020, 12:55 AM
@ibocakir06 @WhoKnewKnows please post the links to books here. By mistake I deleted @ahernandez topic. Thank you.
WhoKnewKnows , 10-20-2020, 05:27 AM
Hi,

I suggest people recommend books by ISBN (international publication identification number) to minimize bias towards format or vendor. For example, the following were previously recommended by another member via Google search URL:

Howard Johnson and 1 more High Speed Digital Design: A Handbook of Black Magic 1st Edition
ISBN-13: 978-0133957242, ISBN-10: 0133957241

Stephen H. Hall and 1 more Advanced Signal Integrity for High-Speed Digital Designs 1st Edition
ISBN-13: 978-0470192351, ISBN-10: 0470192356

Eric Bogatin Signal and Power Integrity - Simplified (Signal Integrity Library) 3rd Edition
ISBN-13: 978-0134513416, ISBN-10: 013451341X

Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?