| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Hardware Engineering

Muhammet PİSTİL , 02-05-2020, 05:22 AM
Hello,
What is the main task a hardware engineer? Circuit analysis, schematic design,layout design, software programming (MCU), test(MCU inputs,eeprom,flash,..),...Actually, I want to do all of them,but I wonder respons of this question.
Regards.
robertferanec , 02-05-2020, 11:40 AM
It is very different between companies and positions. In one of the companies where I used to work, I was a hardware design engineer and we had to design complete product: from market research, through specification, hardware design, housing design, help with software, testing & verification, certification, manufacturing, purchasing up to designing the paper box for our new product.

Often, smaller the company is, different kind of work you may need to do, but you learn tons of stuff. In bigger companies, it is usually more focused and sometimes you do not even do some of the things (e.g you do schematic but not PCB layout or ... you only do PCB layout, etc)
Paul van Avesaath , 02-06-2020, 12:23 AM
indeed like @robertferanec says i used to work in a small company with 32 people R&D and i did everything except sw/fw , now I work at one of the large companies (4500 people )and its only schematic design... i feel very cut off so after a year of that I am leaving it next week!! (also it uses mentor.. which is normally a pretty good piece of software, but it has been tamed by company rules)..hopefully i can use altium on a more regular basis in the future again..
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?