| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Course: Learn the Essentials of creating uBoot, Linux and YOCTO

Sabhi , 04-09-2021, 02:15 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum. I closely follow Robert's Altium videos on youtube. Love his videos. Recently I came across this course: Learn the Essentials of creating uBoot, Linux and YOCTO. Anyone tried taking this course? Did you use rex board for it? How much is the rex board and where did you get it from?, is it possible to do this course with some other board which has i.MX6. I have a SOM DART-6UL from variscite which uses underlying i.MX6Ultralite, I also have a dev kit (VAR-6ULCustomboard) for it which has mostly all the I/O's that may be required. I am attaching the pic of the block diagram for the devkit for anyone to see and comment if I can use the dev kit for this course.
robertferanec , 04-12-2021, 03:25 AM
Hello @Sabhi

some people use OpenRex, some have no hardware, but I know, some also use different boards (e.g. Sabresd, Beaglebone, Raspberry Pi ).

Unless you are using OpenRex and the exact version of the software, do not expect a step-by-step course. Please, keep in mind, that software is constantly changing and therefore, the goal of the course is to give you an idea how it all works, help you to understand what to look for and help you to understand what you may need to do to compile software for a board. So it is not neccessary to use the exact board, you will just need to figure out some things by yourself.

OpenRex can be purchased through VOIPAC:
Voipac - The Embedded Professionals for high density SBC and COMs based on the NXP i․MX 8M/6/53/51/25 ARM® Cortex® core processors. Customized configurations, free development support, and worldwide shipping since 2002. Up to 15-year products longevity.

Comments:
Sabhi, 04-16-2021, 06:57 PM
Thanks Robert!! Are you planning to put more videos or online course for tinkering with device trees and building the kernel or is it all covered in this course.
robertferanec , 04-17-2021, 01:28 AM
@Sabhi currently I am not planning to do any software videos, just the one course I already made.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?