| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Identify what part is causing a short to GND

cBegue , 09-03-2021, 07:53 AM
Hello there,
I encountered a short circuit during testing on a board due to touching a component with a ground test wire. The board now isn't functional at all.
I see that a particular power line (among 4) after a linear regulator is now shorted (R=1ohm) to ground on the board. I guess a capacitor failed during operation, however I have many between this power line and GND with no apparent visual damage anywhere on the board. (I was looking for a black mark on the PCB)
Would you know of a good way to find the faulty component on the power line if it is possible ?

I would also like to know what you think is a good value for power line (12V/5V/3.3V...) resistance ? Do you think 150-200 ohms is enough ? Or at least 1Kohms ? Can this resistance be too high for example in the Mohm order ?

Thank you for your feedback.
robertferanec , 09-03-2021, 08:32 AM
Sometimes you can find it if the component is getting hot. So, you can touch the components, you can use a thermal camera or you can use some alcohol to find the spot where PCB is hot (alcohol will vapor faster at that place).

Resistance of power lines can vary a lot. For example if there is a termination, you can easily measure resistance of 10OHMs or even lower and that is still ok (e.g. procesor powers, memory interfaces etc).
cBegue , 09-03-2021, 08:49 AM
Thank you for your answer Robert. I've tried with a thermal camera while reducing consumed current with a power resistor, I'll try with higher currents to see if I can find the hot stop.
Lakshmi , 09-05-2021, 06:46 AM
It's could be the capacitor / Diode shorting. You didn't mention which component while testing with ground wire.
As Robert said, a thermal camera is one way.

Have a look at this for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZdOwIuzDXM
If caps are not then try replacing regulator IC.
cBegue , 09-06-2021, 12:03 AM
I found my hotspot: The microcontroller. I guess it is dead then
qdrives , 09-08-2021, 08:12 AM
If the microcontroller is getting hot, make sure that it is not one of the output that has the short.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?