| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Quoting for first DDRx FPGA layout.

maaadbob , 05-23-2016, 07:10 AM
Hi everyone,

Over the years I have progressed from breakout boards to microcontrollers to microprocessors and my last major design was a TI OMAP chip with package-on-package memory, so I didn't have to worry about routing the memory interface.
Now I have a repeat customer is wanting an FPGA development board customised for their project.
I'm not too concerned about the USB, Ethernet and other sections of the design, but I'm unsure how long it may take to layout the DDR3 interface having not done one before.
I'm open to suggestions to how much time I should expect to spend on this part of the layout.

Cheers all,
Bob.
robertferanec , 05-23-2016, 07:47 AM
Hi @maaadbob maybe this can help you: http://www.fedevel.com/designhelp/fo...price-projects
maaadbob , 05-23-2016, 11:16 AM
Wow ! Those projects took quite a lot of hours to complete. If I took 400 hours to complete a design, I would end up charging something like 12,000 euro. Is this a realistic cost ?
mairomaster , 05-24-2016, 03:10 AM
How many chips of DDR3 do you need to use for the design? There are many variables, but as a rough estimation I would say 1-2 weeks full time depending on how much space you have, how well are the signals distributed and how well it goes. Of course there is always the possibility to screw things up and to need to re-do everything, which takes time.
robertferanec , 05-25-2016, 01:55 AM
Yes, @mairomaster is right, DDR takes approximately 1-2 weeks full time.

12 000 EUR is a relative price. When I was freelancing normally the projects were between 15 000 - 50 000 EUR per a board with CPU + memories. A lot depends on how much you are limited on space and how many components / pins is there.
maaadbob , 08-02-2016, 09:31 AM
Thanks guys, this is really useful information for the future.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?