| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Managing Versions and Revisions in Project

kalvis84 , 03-16-2017, 09:37 AM
Hi,
I always have a problem how and when I should change the number of version and revision on PCB.
For example. I start completely new project so my version and revision should be V0I0? And couple of prototypes later it should be V0I4? And when I decide that V0I4 is OK then I rename it to V1I0?

Is that correct or I do it wrong?

I have the same problem with software. When I have version 1.0.00 and I work on version 1.1 how i should name the project version before release?
robertferanec , 03-16-2017, 02:10 PM
It is really up to you.

This is what we use:
- First prototype V1I1
- If we need to do BOM changes, then V1I1a
- If we need to do some changes in schematic / PCB, but boards are still fully compatible we use V1I2
- If we do changes and boards are not fully compatible, we use V2I1

Note: Fully compatible means, the board size, dimensions, pinout, connector placement etc. is exactly the same as on the previous version.
mairomaster , 03-17-2017, 02:49 AM
What we do is have a separate version number for the PCB blank and separate one for the assembly of the board. Both of them start from 100. If there are some minor changes the version number increases with 1 - 101, 102, etc. If there is a major change the version number increases with 100 - 100, 200, 300, etc.

The PCB blank is treated as part of the assembly, together with all the components on the board. If the PCB blank changes, the assembly version needs to change as well. However, if you change the value of a resistor for example, only the assembly version changes, since the PCB blank is the same.
kalvis84 , 03-17-2017, 04:16 AM
But what if you have to do 2 prototypes to do major changes because there where a mistake or you decided to change something on final PCB? Are those two prototypes have diferent numbers? Even though only one will be released?
robertferanec , 03-17-2017, 07:35 AM
In a proper company you should always use different numbers every single release. Otherwise you can confuse the other people (people who are buying components, assembling boards, testing boards, ...).
kalvis84 , 03-17-2017, 10:30 AM
Thanks. I had to make sure that I think properly. The thing is that in my company they do not care about that and like you say, sometimes there are mistakes. Once again thanks for reply.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?