| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

GIT & HW Development Directory Structure

onsimini , 03-07-2018, 02:43 PM
Hello,
After Schematic & PCB Design Course - Online - Lesson 1, I was trying to use your files directories structure, but with the GIT point of view.

So first question, did you consider to use it or already used it ?
Second question, to get the certificat, is it ok if I adapte the structure for the GIT use ?

My views is to have a GIT for the Altium lib, centralised lib, but i was asking myself about the way to share the lib with clients, but, do i have to or not, and if i have to, do i have to do a lib for each clients or projects ?

Plus i think that with git and the Tag option, i can point to an history point to have the state of a release project, so i do not need the 3 folder structure ... but 1 folder should be enough.

so I m following my reflexion about files structure and ll give u news.

Best regards.
robertferanec , 03-08-2018, 09:13 AM
By GIT, you mean versioning system, right?

I know, that some people use git approach for libraries and projects. Feel free to experiment - it often depends also on company, if they have small vs big team of developers, if they are all in one office or around the world, etc. There is no one perfect way to handle libraries which would fit to all companies.

You can use your own approach even if you would like to get certificate, no problem.

PS: I would always keep the release directory separated, it contains a lot of other information, not just project + non technical people need to understand how to use it (e.g. purchasing department)
onsimini , 03-08-2018, 02:06 PM
(By GIT I was meaning versionning.)

And about libraries, do u have one library with all our components that you update every project, or do you have a library for each project and/or client ?
robertferanec , 03-10-2018, 12:36 PM
We have one library for all projects, so it is easier to search for components.

I have not found the best way to work with libraries. Our approach may be ok for small companies, but will not work well for bigger teams and many projects.
onsimini , 03-13-2018, 10:56 AM
do you share our libary + altium files with the client, or just gerber files + docs ?
robertferanec , 03-14-2018, 09:50 AM
Usually it works the way, that during design process they will get PDF and screenshots (sometimes I do send out partial Altium files), but the final Altium files are send to client after I receive the final payment. They may have access to the gerbers and manufacturing documentation before the final payment, if they are manufacturing the boards by themselves.

I do not provide libraries, client can generate it from project: https://www.fedevel.com/welldoneblog...sting-project/
Paul van Avesaath , 07-10-2018, 02:38 AM
if they get the altium files they can easely generate there own lib from the PCB and Schematic file right? so you keep your global lib and they only get what they payed for,,
robertferanec , 07-10-2018, 02:23 PM
if they get the altium files they can easely generate there own lib from the PCB and Schematic file right? so you keep your global lib and they only get what they payed for,,
- Correct. I do not deliver libraries, they can generate them from the project.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?