| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Fast boot embedded device

altay , 05-17-2019, 02:23 PM
Hi,
I a project to develop a ODB2 control screen.
I am planning to use COMe module to handle the processing tasks.
BUT
As you know it took a while for system to boot up and be ready, however in automobile devices there are screens that are immediately ready just after the screen is powered on.
Does anyone know how they developed their product? Do they use a CPU + Linux kernel or they applied a micro controller/FPGA solution?

Thanks for your comments
Paul van Avesaath , 05-18-2019, 01:25 PM
i dont know about cars.. but i am designing a system that is capable for booting and fully up and running within 100ms (in calculations of the sw team it was more like 45 uS).. and i use a flash based FPGA SoC from microsemi to do so.. the thing with a flash based FPGA it can boot really fast because it does not need a cpu to program the fpga like in Sram based versions.. it works a soon as power is stable..... sram devices can still boot fast mind you.. it all depend s on the SW you run.. and think about how fast it needs to be.. for ODB2 it is not really mandatory to boot fast right? and loking at my car (renault from 2019) the screen shows a logo for the first few seconds.. " while booting" i suspect at least..and most micro processors should be able to boot in seconds..
altay , 05-18-2019, 01:42 PM
Thank you for your sharing
robertferanec , 05-20-2019, 07:09 AM
@altay, I have the similar experience as @Paul van Avesaath has - software guys spend quite some time to improve the boot time. Even if you use Linux, you can boot up quite quickly (usually what looks like you are showing up LOGO of the manufacturer, you are actually using this few seconds to boot up the system). In many systems it may not be necessary to boot up in 100ms, a few seconds can be perfectly fine.

PS: Some systems still need number of 10s of seconds to boot up ... even my TV.
altay , 05-20-2019, 09:13 AM
Thanks for your feedback
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?