| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

WiFi module

altay , 05-22-2019, 08:39 AM
I tried to provide WiFi functionality in my circuit via ESP8266 module.
I connect the modules Rx and Tx signals to a serial port of a CPU (legacy COM, Btw, I am sure the voltage levels match with each other).
I beg the system automatically detects the module and load the drivers, However, Nothing happened!

Can anyone give me an idea did I miss something?!
The second question, Can anyone give me an idea which module you prefer for WiFi communications? or in other words, which module you use in your design?

I have Both USB and serial port available on my design.

Thanks

Lakshmi , 05-22-2019, 10:27 PM
Have you tried connecting your ESP8266 to the CPU over USB instead of UART
altay , 05-22-2019, 11:21 PM
I prefer to not use USB bus for this.
Lakshmi , 05-22-2019, 11:26 PM
If you want to use the only UART, then you have to use USB TTL converter and then connect to the CPU.
robertferanec , 05-23-2019, 12:41 AM
@altay can you attach some documentation?

I guess, if you use UART, you should be able to use some AT modem commands to see if the module is initialized and if it is working. Then, you may need some higher level of code (driver) which will be "connecting" your application with the modem.

Be careful. When you are using modules, it is a lot about firmware which is loaded inside of the module - so you may need to follow the example codes and instructors from the module manufacturer.
altay , 05-23-2019, 12:55 AM
Thank you @Lakshmi thank you @robertferanec

After your responses I got it. You know, I prefer the CPU automatically see the WiFi, like Laptops, and windows load the drivers. UART is not mandatory, I have PCI express buss available too.

What would be your suggestions? Is there any such a WiFi module in the market?
and also, which bus (usb, pci, uart,...) you prefer in your designs as a Wifi communication protocol?

thanks
robertferanec , 05-23-2019, 01:10 AM
Are you running Linux on your board? And what is your CPU is it ARM, x86, MIPS, ...? What are requirements for the Wifi (has to be fast)?
altay , 05-23-2019, 01:13 AM
Windows 7 (for now) and the CPU is Intel celeron J1900
robertferanec , 05-24-2019, 07:19 AM
I tried to provide WiFi functionality in my circuit via ESP8266 module.
- when you say "in my circuit", you mean a board with Windows 7 and Intel Celeron, right?

I connect the modules Rx and Tx signals to a serial port of a CPU (legacy COM, Btw, I am sure the voltage levels match with each other). I beg the system automatically detects the module and load the drivers, However, Nothing happened!
- I am not sure, is x86 will automatically detect serial port devices, you may need to install drivers manually. Also, I am not sure what you mean by "legacy COM" ... do you mean like RS232 DB9 connector or you just mean a standard CMOS serial port?

Why you can not use USB WiFi dongle? That is probably the simplest way. Personally I prefer to use PCIE mini card WiFi modules (they may be faster than some USB WiFi modules).
altay , 05-24-2019, 01:00 PM
@robertferanec
yes the board is the same and windows did not find it automatically
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?