FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Grids: Schematic and PCB

mnpebm , 08-14-2019, 11:05 AM
Is this how most setup their designs?

Grids for schematic: Imperial?
Grids for pcb: Metric?
Paul van Avesaath , 08-15-2019, 12:23 AM
it's a personal thing.. I live in the netherlands so you would guess metric is preffered, however i find mils much easier to work with.. so I use both whenever one is more convient than the other..
to give an example.. sch is always imperial never touched it so why change it to metric.. in the PCB when I set it up i use metric since most DXF drawings for board outline come in metric.. when routing I use 99% imperial.. saying 4-4-4- mil spacing is much easier to visualize than 0.1-0.1-0.1 .. when making footprints it depends on what the reccomended footprint comes in, so either metric of imperiall.. I am switching all the with that "q" button
mnpebm , 08-15-2019, 04:20 AM
Very helpful. I can be flexible!
robertferanec , 08-16-2019, 08:57 AM
This is what I normally use:
- Schematic libraries: 100mils (I do use smaller grid, but only to draw graphical elements inside of the symbol)
- Schematic: 100mils, sometimes I go for 50mils (if schematic is very complex or if reference design is using 50mils)

Note: General advise: do not change default grids in schematic, it can cause a LOT of problems (especially in compatibility with other projects - eg. if you need to import reference designs)

- Footprints: default mm, however if component is designed in mils or datasheet is in mils, I can create the footprint in mils
- PCB: Depends on project and customer, especially if shape and position of key components (e.g. mounting holes) is defined in mm or mil. If customer is from US, usually the board is designed in mils, but most of my PCBs are in mm with mixed footprints (created in mm and also mils).
Paul van Avesaath , 08-20-2019, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by robertferanec

Note: General advise: do not change default grids in schematic, it can cause a LOT of problems (especially in compatibility with other projects - eg. if you need to import reference designs)
i had that with a client once.. they made there own symbol, and i could not get it to connect properly... i had a hard time figuring that out..
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?