| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

How to use reference designs in projects

Johnnyjax , 04-22-2020, 12:59 PM
I have a project i want to start in altium and i also found 2 reference designs online that have different features i want to take from the schematics of each of the reference designs and then add some of my own changes. What is the best way to do this? are there any steps i need to follow? Do i need to first create an integrated library from the reference designs, copy the libraries into my own designs and then copy some of the schematic pages into my project? I've tries just copying some schematic pages from the reference designs but i always end up with lots of errors.
robertferanec , 04-23-2020, 10:32 AM
If the reference schematic is in the same CAD system and it is the schematic I want to start from, then I may copy the whole pages (the files) into my project directory, add them into my project and adjust them. If I only need a page or something smaller, I just copy and place it (CTRL+C, CTRL +V)

Until schematic is just a Draft, I am not really worried about source of the symbol.

However, later when I am finishing the schematic, I create the components used in the schematic in my library and replace all the symbols in schematic with symbols from library.

PS: I usually create components in my library when schematic is almost finished - this way I know, that I will be only creating components what I really will use (so I do not spend time by creating components what may be removed or replaced during schematic design process).
Johnnyjax , 04-23-2020, 10:49 AM
Wow. Thank you so much
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?