| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Rf Antenna inductance&impedance

suleymancskn , 11-02-2020, 03:28 AM
Hello, I want to design an RF antenna. I am using TRF7970 IC. I want to design my own antenna. I can calculate the inductance value of the antenna. But I don't know how many ohms the antenna is impedance. Is there a need to calculate impedance for the antenna? Otherwise, I will find a balance with the capacitor and resistors determined in the Q circuit in the photo.
In summary, I can calculate the inductance for the antenna. However, I am not sure if it is necessary to calculate impedance.
I am waiting for your suggestions on the subject.
Thank you.
suleymancskn , 11-02-2020, 03:43 AM
I am based on the values entered in the TI source document. When I calculate the standard single ended 50R impedance of Altium, it is not 50 ohms. Should we use a different calculation method?
robertferanec , 11-06-2020, 03:02 AM
I am not RF expert. However I can tell, that every single software where I try to calculate impedance will give me different results. Of course, the results should be similar, but they are never exactly the same - that is the reason why I trust the numbers which are provided by the PCB manufacturer.

In your case, to route 50OHMs I would try to ask PCB manufacturer for their recommendation. If it is not possible ... then I usually go with the free Saturn PCB Toolkit calculation: https://saturnpcb.com/pcb_toolkit/

PS: I do not know how accurate is the Altium calculation. I do not trust any Altiums calculations as they just keep changing everything (including calculations). But I need to add, that when I checked Altium impedance calculations last time, they were close to what I was getting also in different software.

jebin , 12-08-2020, 10:44 AM
Hi Robert,
I agree with you. Better to get impedance details from PCB manufacture, its makes life easy.

Jebin
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?