| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Layout Review for a PCIE to USB3 converting board

Firasgany7 , 01-13-2021, 07:27 AM
Hi,

I'm designing a board that converts from PCI-E to USB3 through a USB host controller from VIALABS (VL805).
I attached the PDF of the schematic and the PCB.zip file that includes the layout.
I also included 6 images of the 6 layers of the layout.
I was hoping to get some feedback regarding the layout routing and if there is something that I should change.
main important high speed traces are USB3, PCIE.
I attached the stack-up for information about the impedances.

Thanks,

robertferanec , 01-18-2021, 01:37 AM
Is the impedance of the tracks correct? The USB signals on L1 seems to me routed super close to each other.
Comments:
Firasgany7, 01-18-2021, 04:51 AM
Hi Robert, the USB2 track Impedance is 85 ohm, and the distance between the USB2 tracks that are connected to L1 is ~10 mils. is that a problem? a previous board with the same routing for the USB2 tracks has already worked. now I only added the VL805 chip with all the extra connection it needs.what spacing between USB2 traces do you use? and can you provide me with a manual that sums up all the standard spacings that you use for each protocol?
robertferanec , 01-25-2021, 06:09 AM
I mean these tracks (see the picture below). USB track geometry (track width and gap) is always based on stackup - so it depends on what stackup you use.

Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?