| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Decoupling capacitors between two power planes +3.3V and +5V

Max , 02-01-2021, 12:22 AM
Hello all,
I have designed an 8 layer board, with mounted components on both sides. However, on the bottom signal layer a set of tracks (JTAG signals) is crossing the gap formed between +3.3V and +5V on layer 7.

Since we were in a hurry, I just added on both sides around the set (left and right) where it crosses the gap a mix of decoupling capacitors connected between +3.3V and +5V, in order to assure a return path for those signals. The closest GND plane is a solid plane on layer 6.

I am asking for some recommendations, also if someone has performed some simulations for a case like this, and what exactly this approach may cause to the operation of the PCB itself ?

Thanks,
Max!
Lakshmi , 02-04-2021, 08:10 PM
Please post the image for better understanding.
Max , 02-04-2021, 11:42 PM
Hello,
Thanks for your proposal, Lakshmi!
I, ve just attached a picture, where the traces in red color are on the bottom layer 8, and the two planes are on layer 7, where in light brown, is prwsented +5V planes, respectivly with blue color is prwsented +3.3V. On the pucture also the mix with the capacitors mentioned above, is also presented.

Thanks,
Max
Lakshmi , 02-05-2021, 03:23 AM
If it's just JTAG, It should be fine but make sure you don't have any high-speed signal running on Layer 8.
Can you please mention your layer stack-up?
People don't often use 8 Layer stack-up instead they tend to use 10Layers as it gives more two-layer and can be helpful with more reference layers and price difference is not much with 8L vs 10L.
Hello Mr.Robert,I am going to design 8 Layer PCB with FPGA and DDR3 RAM. Design consist of Ethernet, USB, SD Card, GPS interface and all are on top of the board. I need 4 signal layers and 2 power layers and 2 ground layers. I can't increase layers because client limitation is 8 layer only. So please give me good suggestion

goncaloc , 02-05-2021, 03:27 AM
Hey Max

can you just swap layer 6 and layer 7? You say Layer 6 is GND plane, that would solve your question.

robertferanec , 02-05-2021, 06:04 AM
Normally I always use a solid GND plane on "start layer + 1" and also on "end layer -1". If not possible, than there is not much to do - it still should work oki.

However, I would spread the tracks, there is a lot of space on that RED layer and there is unnecessary risk having crosstalk between that tracks.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?