| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Stackup for DDR3 memory chips

Bermell , 06-25-2022, 01:37 PM
Hello,

I would like to ask you about the following Stackup that I am going to use for the routing of 2 DDR3 memory chips and a FPGA

1.- Components
2.- GND
3.- Data bytes group
4.- Address command and control
5.- Power 1.5V
6.- Power 1.5V
7.- Address command and control
8.- Data bytes group
9.- GND
10.-DDR3 Clock, and components

I know, the most important groups, are the Data bytes. I mean, each data byte should be in the same layer and doing the same changes between layers, but what about address command and control group? I can't keep all the signals of this group in the same layer, so and this is my question, what do you think about using the layers 4 and 7 of my Stackup, for routing this group ?

Thank you very much in advance
robertferanec , 06-27-2022, 08:05 AM
It could be possible. Be super careful about parallel tracks on layers 3/4 and also on 7/8. If you are not sure, try to simulate it when you finish layout. However, personally I would probably add GND layers between 3/4 and 7/8 if that would be possible.

PS: From my experience usually it is not so simple to have 5/6 1.5V only, usually there are many other powers under the CPU/FPGA, so often these power planes can't be so simply routed over all the memory tracks.
Bermell , 06-27-2022, 12:17 PM
Thank you very much Robert. I am agree, it is always much better to use a GND plane as reference for the memory tracks
Bermell , 07-05-2022, 12:43 AM
Hello,

In addition to this present post, I did other one with the title, "About 1080 Prepreg for getting 40 Ohms Impedance in Top and Bottom layers"
in which I was thinking of using a Stackup similar to the one the OpenRex card has.

I am now considering using this new layers configuration:

1.- Components
2.- GND
3.- Data bytes group
4.- GND
5.- Power 1.5V
6.- Address command and control
7.- GND
8.- Data bytes group
9.- GND
10.-DDR3 Clock, and Address command and control

Layer 4, is not a GND power plane , but a GND polygon with the same size that the 1.5V polygon of layer 5

Can you give me your opinion about this new Stackup. What do you think about using the layers 6 and 10 of my Stackup, for routing Address command and control group ?
I know that the speed signals, will be different in layers 6 and 10.

Thank you very much in advance
robertferanec , 07-09-2022, 03:20 AM
I would try it.

PS: But I am still a little bit worried about not maybe not having enough space for power planes under your chip. Be sure you can connect all the powers before routing.
Bermell , 07-12-2022, 12:25 AM
Thank you very much for your answer, Robert.

Finally I have chosen to use 12 layers as you suggested in a previous comment, adding 2 GND layers to my Stackup
binayak , 07-27-2022, 11:45 PM
Bernell,

Just a doubt - are you using DIMM or individual chips? Only in the DIMM case, the CAC lines are referenced to power.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?