| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Importing into Schematic Layout

millensg , 03-19-2016, 05:47 AM
Hi,

I have got a number of component schematics on schematic sheets with matching PCB Component Library and nothing saved in the Schematic Library. Also, a number of components are repeated across sheets i.e. U1 (IMX6) for SD Card, Memory and Power.

I wonder if their was a way of importing from the schematic sheets into a schematic library? Also, how do I link different schematics together, or, would I have to create one schematic i.e. for U1 as this could affect duplication when it comes to affecting the Design Rule Checker throwing an error.

Thanks once again as this forum is proving really useful.

Sam
mairomaster , 03-19-2016, 03:46 PM
If I understood correctly, you want to create a schematic library containing all schematic symbols that you have in your project.

You can use Design -> Make schematic library. If it asks about duplicate components, you should probably choose Process only the first instance and ignore all the rest, but that depends on the components you are using across the project.
robertferanec , 03-20-2016, 02:00 PM
@millensg, I agree with @mairomaster - you can create a schematic symbol library from your project. In case you have more schematics, you can generate schematic library for each schematic and simply copy and paste the symbols into your main project library. This may help you: Altium – How to Create Library from Existing Project
millensg , 03-21-2016, 03:18 PM
Guys, Thanks for your response.

I am currently running Altium Designer v15.1

Under Design tab it gives me the option of making an Integrated Library.

Further to my comment earlier: I have one sheet that shows an imx6 chip (U1) and has the SD Card connections only, I have memory sheet that also has an imx6 chip (U1) that only shows the memory connections only, and I have a power sheet that also has an imx6 (U1) that shows only the power/ground connections only on the device. My concern, when importing, will it only import the connections on one sheet and ignore and overwrite U1 on the other sheets?

I have looked at the video link above and can see 'CPU' listed on a number of sheets and wondered if it was the same setup (different connections on each sheet), or, the CPU schematic is fully complete and the same on each sheet.

Thanks

Sam
mairomaster , 03-21-2016, 03:27 PM
You shouldn't worry about that. Altium is smart enough to know that this is a single component, made by multiple parts which are scattered across multiple schematic sheets. In the library afterwards you will have a multi-part component, containing all necessary parts.
millensg , 03-21-2016, 04:00 PM
Thanks Mario.
millensg , 03-28-2016, 07:22 AM
Hi Mario/Robert,

I managed to create an Integrated Library a couple of days ago from my existing schematics. I know their is data in the Integrated library as I am able to validate footprint links to information stored within it.

However, I cannot access the footprint or the schematic in an Integrated library and can only do this for a *.PcbLib => "PCB Library" Tab or *.SchLib => "SCH Library" Tab from the Project Tab in the left hand panel.

I have also found the software is now creating folders in the last couple of days, seems whenever I save, and iterating The REV suffix in the folder name i.e. "_REV1", "REV2", "REV3","REV4" and so on and they contain Schematic and PCB Library files with some earlier REV folders containing data with files around 400KB and the later folders with 0KB files.

How do I access an Integrated file to edit or view footprints and schematics? and does anyone know why Altium is incrementing Integrated Libraries in a folder structure containing *.pcblib and *.schlib?

I have found libraries in Altium really frustrating and, on some occassions, felt like launching my PC from a first floor window! which wouldnt really help matters.

Thanks

Sam
robertferanec , 03-29-2016, 01:47 AM
- I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I normally just double click on the integrated library and it will unpack itself into Schematic and PCB library. Then, when you make any changes in this SCH and PCB library, right click on the Integrated library and "Compile" (see the attached screenshot).

- I am not sure about the revisions, I have never noticed that.

millensg , 03-29-2016, 02:31 PM
Thanks for posting the image. for now I have copied out the *schlib and *pcblib files. at least it contains the schematics that it extracted from the schematic sheets. I then removed the Integrated library from the Project for the time being. It was creating and maintaining dulpicate schematic and pcb libraries in seperate folders, which were increasing incrementally. Please see attached.

I would have ended up using a lot of space if I kept on going and I dont know why the library didnt unpack.
robertferanec , 03-30-2016, 12:15 PM
Possibly, you can create your own project / company library and Copy & Paste there the Symbols and Footprint generated from the reference designs.
millensg , 08-17-2016, 12:37 PM
Thanks, it is a little while since I posted on here. What I did find, eventually, is that the integrated library was right at the bottom of the Project window and by selecting the integrated library through the library sub folder under source documents it was creating another folder in windows and adding a suffix "_REV2", "_REV3" etc.
robertferanec , 08-19-2016, 11:55 AM
Ah, ok. Thank you very much for letting us know.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?