| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

"closest groups" vs. "outside groups" in routing DDR3?

miner_tom , 11-13-2016, 02:13 PM
I was reading your paper on "How to route DDR3 and fan out" and I saw the designations "outside groups" and "closest groups". I am not sure that I know what you mean by those expressions.

BTW, I am having a great time with your routing course.

Thank You
Tom
robertferanec , 11-14-2016, 09:53 AM
Wow! Good catch!

Did you read the article at Altium page, this one: How to Route DDR3 Memory and CPU fan-out
Because it looks like they re-done the pictures wrong Here is what I have on my website: Do you plan ahead when working on CPU DDR3 fanout?

miner_tom , 11-14-2016, 12:55 PM
Thank You, I did read the article but it did not clear up the definition of "outside group" and "closest group". Outside of what? Closest to what?

Tom
robertferanec , 11-14-2016, 01:28 PM
Closest to the ADDR/CTRL/CMD signals, out of the ADDR/CTRL/CMD signals.
gyuunyuu1989 , 10-27-2023, 08:00 PM
This link is broken:
Page not found. You have landed in the wrong place. You will not find FEDEVEL educational courses on this page.

Could you elaborate a bit more on what this "outside group" and "closest group" means and why this is required? I read the article on the Altium website and I am confused since the term "closest group" is not defined anywhere. I am also confused as to why we are trying to use TH-Via since such via will have a stub and that can be very bad for high speed signals.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?