| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

How to bring up iMAX6 Quad new hardware design ?

Kulunu , 02-26-2017, 06:02 AM
Hi All,

I'm new to this hardware design field and I have designed iMAX6 Quad processor based custom board for a video processing unit and I have used Rex Open Source DDR layout design as reference. I need to know few information about custom hardware design bringing up. I am following below steps.

1. Visual Inspection
2. Verify all SoC voltage rails
3. Verify power up sequence
4. Run basic DDR initialization and test memory
5. Run DDR Stress test

I have the knowledge to do above steps and need to clarify following things.

1. After DDR Memory calibration and stress test what are the files should I update in uboot ? Is that only the uboot files ? Any place to change DDR clock frequency in uboot ? (If I'm using different RAM to Rex boards)
2. If the custom hardware design has an EMMC do we have any calibration or configurations for this fresh EMMC ?
3. If I am referring to the Rex DDR PCB Layout do we have any test points to check DDR clock frequencies and verify the PCB before the board bringing up ?

I must be thankful to you if you will kindly reply me soon.

#robertferanec

Regards & Thanks,
Kulunu.
mairomaster , 02-27-2017, 02:26 AM
Between 1. and 2. I will normally measure the impedances of all rails, while the board is still not powered, to make sure there are no shorts.

I can't really help you about the rest of the questions.
Comments:
Kulunu, 02-27-2017, 02:46 AM
Hi,Thank you for your feedback. What I really need is answers for following questions.1. After DDR Memory calibration and stress test what are the files should I update in uboot ? Is that only the uboot files ? Any place to change DDR clock frequency in uboot ? (If I'm using different RAM to Rex boards)2. If the custom hardware design has an EMMC do we have any calibration or configurations for this fresh EMMC ?3. If I am referring to the Rex DDR PCB Layout do we have any test points to check DDR clock frequencies and verify the PCB before the board bringing up ?Regards,Kulunu.
robertferanec , 02-27-2017, 11:39 AM
1) Here are some steps what can help you How to edit, customize and test the uBoot, Kernel source codes and YOCTO meta layer
The file which you need to change depends on your source code and the processor which you are using. Check out our github for the initial OpenRex changes here. Look for lines like:

Code:
+DATA 4 0x020e0798 0x000C0000+DATA 4 0x020e0758 0x00000000+DATA 4 0x020e0588 0x00000030+DATA 4 0x020e0594 0x00000030+DATA 4 0x020e056c 0x00000030
2) eMMC uses SD interface, it should behave like an SD card, so you should not really need anything special. But I have not used eMMC with iMX6, so my answer may not be accurate.

3) There are no testpoints on DDR3 interface. Do not forget, you will need a special tool to test or measure DDR3 interface. If you use a standard scope, just touching the signal with your probe will probably change the signal shape. However, if you just need to measure to clock, you should be able to do so without special testpoints.

Comments:
Kulunu, 03-01-2017, 10:14 PM
Dear #robertferanecMany thanks for your explanation. But I have following questions.1) How to boot fresh custom hardware with imax6 processor when it comes bare metal (how NAND flash is burnt, Uboot is burnt? ) 2) How to use mfg tools for emmc programming ?3) When we do the DDR calibration and stress test (i.MAX6 DDR Stress test tool V2.60) using USB OTG with serial download mode (No OS on board, No SD card & no eMMC access) ; does the host PC access to the boot rom of the imax6 processor ?Regards & Thanks,Kulunu.#robertferanec
robertferanec , 03-03-2017, 10:33 AM
@Kulunu,

1) 2) Basically, start uBoot through MFG tools and then use it to flash what you need (just run the uBoot commands). This link may help you:
Content Get and compile the latest uBoot Run uBoot on an empty board Flash uBoot for the very first time into a fresh board Programming eFuses on very fresh

3) What is happening is, that iMX6 CPU will download the uBoot from PC into iMX6 CPU SRAM and starts it from there.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?