| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

pcb simulation

mostafa222 , 05-02-2017, 12:44 AM
Hi. I designed a ddr3 board with altium. I want to simulate my pcb to see if my pcb working correctly. Somebody tell me to use hyperlynx program to simulate my pcb but it is so difficult and i can't work with it. Do you know some good program to simulate pcb?
mairomaster , 05-02-2017, 01:47 AM
I think Hyperlynx is your best choice. It's not that difficult ones you understand the basics.Signal integrity is complex topic by its nature though. You need a good understanding to be able to setup the simulation right and get useful results. You also need good IBIS models of the processor and memory. And even after all of that, you still might not get accurate results, it's a bit of a black magic.
mostafa222 , 05-02-2017, 01:48 AM
Where can i find ibis model?
mairomaster , 05-02-2017, 01:52 AM
Look on the websites of the manufacturers of the particular chips, they might be available for download. If not, just try google. You might need to contact technical support and ask for the IBIS models.
mostafa222 , 05-02-2017, 01:53 AM
Ok. Thank you so much
mostafa222 , 05-02-2017, 05:10 AM
I have 2 question:
1: how can i add ibis model to hyperlynx?
2: i want to simulate hdmi data port between fpga and hdmi chip. Should i have ibis model for both fpga and hdmi chip? Is it necessary to have ibis model for all chip on the board?
mairomaster , 05-02-2017, 09:42 AM
1. I don't have Hyperlynx installed at the moment so I can't help you about that (don't remember exactly). I recommend you to watch a few tutorials on youtube and to go through the documentation of the software (it's not that long). That should clear the basic questions. Also play around with it to get the feel. It's not the most intuitive software but it's not the worst either.

2. Yes, you need IBIS models on both ends of the interface. You need models only for the chips which you are testing.
mostafa222 , 05-03-2017, 03:33 AM
Thank you so much.
chitransh92 , 08-23-2018, 09:13 AM
Hello,

Are there any free tools available for IBIS model reading.
The intent here is to get the termination planned for the IC.
learnt that ICD Stack up planner has this "termination planner" capability which can be really helpful while layout and decide on the track impedance and termination resistor.

Thank you.
robertferanec , 08-24-2018, 12:32 AM
I do not know. I have never heard about anything like this, but sounds interesting. Anyone heard about tool which could show pin impedance based on ibis model? (That is what you mean, correct?)
mohsin_qau , 08-24-2018, 06:08 AM
Yes right. I don't think so
mairomaster , 08-24-2018, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by chitransh92
Hello,

Are there any free tools available for IBIS model reading.
The intent here is to get the termination planned for the IC.
learnt that ICD Stack up planner has this "termination planner" capability which can be really helpful while layout and decide on the track impedance and termination resistor.

Thank you.
I am not sure if I understand the question correctly but you can open IBIS files with any text editor.
chitransh92 , 08-26-2018, 05:19 AM
Hello Folks,

@mairomaster is right that IBIS can be opened in the text editor.

However my question is which tool can help my analyse the functionality of the IBIS model.
If you guys can look over a video by ICD stack up planner specific section "Termination planner" IBIS models can really be helpful in conjunction with datasheet of course to get the details of termination and track impedance etc.

I am looking for similar free tools. (if any)

Thank you.

Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?