| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Is it a good idea to change the width of track when it passes through the connector?

, 11-02-2017, 05:47 AM
I know for the high speed signals we need to keep the track's width constant for keep the impedance constant.
but here it is not considered impedance control (because it is not only digital high speed path, but also it has only 2 layer).
so the question is can I change the width of track during routing like the foto attached here?
I try to keep the track as wide as possible 0.7mm, but when it passes through connector I have to reduce the width to 0.26 mm
robertferanec , 11-02-2017, 09:03 AM
yes, you can make tracks thinner. also, what I sometimes do, I make the connector pads oval, so there is more space between the pads.

PS: usually instead of routing wide signal tracks (the tracks for low currents and not required low impedance), I often make these tracks thinner (e.g. I use 0.3, 0.2, or 0.15mm track width - depends on minimum optimal track width of the PCB manufacturer) and rather keep gap between the tracks wider (for better crosstalk results).
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?