| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

How to trim the silk from text string over vias and pads.

Erick Setubal , 12-22-2017, 03:45 PM
On my current project, I am developing an internal development board so in order to make the developer experience good I write a lot on the board to identify everything easily.

When I was positioning the text I was taking care to not cover any pad but it is difficult to position the text without covering any via, is there any command or option where I could trim the text that is over the via? I want to remove enough silk until the clearance rule is respected. I know that there are some Gerber Editors that can make it.

robertferanec , 12-24-2017, 10:44 AM
I have never needed to use this - so, I was not really looking for this kind of rule. Usually, I cover all the VIAs by mask and it is not problem when silkscreen goes over VIA. For bigger board with bigger VIAs I try to avoid placing text over VIAs as I would like to keep it readable.

You may be able to create a rule to identify text over VIA, but I do not think you can make a rule which will automatically remove part of the text over VIA. I am not sure if this is automatically supported in Altium. I know, in Allegro, you can create a special layer called Autosilk, but in Altium I have not seen any function like this.

PS: Also, I believe, if needed, the PCB manufacturer will usually remove the text over VIA.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?