| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

creepage?

, 01-16-2018, 08:43 AM
The creepage is defined as shortest distance on the surface of an insulating material between two conductive elements.

does it mean that it does not need to consider the distance between the layers?

for example if the voltage difference is 1200v, consequently the creepage is 6.3 mm, the distance on the layer 1 should be 6.3mm or we need also consider this distance other layers respect to the layer 1?(I can remember Robert told I don not use the ground plane when I deal with high voltage)
robertferanec , 01-16-2018, 06:00 PM
I found this: "Creepage distance means the shortest distance along the surface of a solid insulating material between two conductive parts."
In recent years, the Phoenix Mecano companies of Hartmann Codier GmbH and PTR HARTMANN GmbH have increasingly intensified their cooperation in the production, logistics and marketing sectors and have merged on the April, 1 2020.

I believe it is just to describe specific situation. I would not apply Creepage values for situation when tracks are inside PCB - but it doesn't mean that the distance between tracks inside PCB routed on top of each other should be ignored. Even for the material between the tracks, there will be voltage what will cause problems - you just may need to find the safe distance number for this specific material.

PS: I remember these high voltage break through tests from university - we were measuring break voltage of different materials. That was fun
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?