| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Do we need to control impedance of CAN BUS ?

Kulunu , 08-07-2018, 12:32 AM
Hi All,
Hi Robert,

My hardware design is most similar to imx Open Rex design development board and I have included CAN BUS port to my custom design.

In my memory layout I controlled impedance as 100 Ohms for differential pair and 50 Ohms for single ended signals.

Do we need to control impedance of the CAN BUS traces ? If yes what is the impedance value ? Can CAN BUS signal traces affect to memory layout if I didn't control CAN BUS trace impedance ?

Regards,
Kulunu.
robertferanec , 08-08-2018, 08:17 AM
I think, CAN may have different types of terminations. This may help you:
Our overview of various CAN physical layers details which NI products support which & how to correctly terminate each layer.

From the link:
" High-Speed/FD CAN Termination

For high-speed/FD CAN, both ends of the pair of signal wires (CAN_H and CAN_L) must be terminated. This is because communication flows both ways on the CAN bus. CAN_L is pin 2 and CAN_H is pin 7 on the standard 9-pin D-SUB connector. The termination resistors on a cable should match the nominal impedance of the cable. ISO 11898 requires a cable with a nominal impedance of 120 Ω; therefore, you should use 120 Ω resistors for termination. If you place multiple devices along the cable, only the devices on the ends of the cable need termination resistors. Figure 1 shows an example of how to terminate a high-speed network.
"
"Do we need to control impedance of the CAN BUS traces ? If yes what is the impedance value ?"
- You may want to. See the note above (we used 100OHM for the short tracks in OpenRex)

"Can CAN BUS signal traces affect to memory layout if I didn't control CAN BUS trace impedance ?"
- no

Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?