| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Controlled impedance traces specification for manufacturer

IgorStojanovic , 09-27-2018, 03:50 AM
Hello to everyone,

I am confused about how to specify to the manufacturer which traces should be controlled impedance. The way how I did the previous controlled impedance designs is to rely to the manufacturer stack up and apply the proper geometry to the specific traces. I also put stack up table in a separate layer - manufacturing notes (learned from Robert). However, some manufacturers (cheap one) insist on doing it on its own. I suppose they doing it by modifying the gerber file and adopting the correct trace geometry. But, how it actually works? How can I tell them, I need that and that trace to be controlled impedance? Does it work like that I described?

Thank you in advance.
mairomaster , 09-28-2018, 02:47 AM
You can set the impedance controlled tracks to a specific width and describe this in the manufacturer notes. Then the manufacturer will know that those are the desired tracks that need to be modified.
IgorStojanovic , 09-28-2018, 02:53 AM
Yes, it makes sense. Thank you.
robertferanec , 10-01-2018, 12:43 AM
We always add screenshots with highlighted nets. It looks something like this (this is file called DIFF100-L3):

IgorStojanovic , 10-01-2018, 10:29 AM
That is very useful. Thank you Robert.
Paul van Avesaath , 10-02-2018, 03:03 AM
I Use mechanical layers and use text with reference info, because sometimes i make cutouts in the internal ref planes to change the impedance.. (the world of 75Ohms video sucks in that way)
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?